John Fischer, P.E.
Mr. Fischer is the chair of the Intellectual Property Department at Scheef & Stone. He has been counsel for his clients on numerous patent infringement cases in the Federal Courts from coast to coast, representing clients from North America, Asia, and Europe. As a patent attorney, Mr. Fischer’s clients benefit from his extensive engineering and business management experience. As a licensed professional engineer, Mr. Fischer holds several U.S. patents of his own. He has successfully prosecuted complex patents for his clients domestically and internationally. As an experienced litigator, Mr. Fischer drafts and prosecutes patent applications with a unique perspective, with judges and juries in mind, for enforcement and commercialization. Patents prosecuted by Mr. Fischer have collectively netted value for his clients in excess of 100 million dollars (product sales, litigation awards, and enterprise valuation). He is an AV rated lawyer who has been recognized as a SuperLawyer for ten consecutive years and has also been recognized by Best Lawyers in America and Best Lawyers in Dallas.
Mr. Fischer has extensive successful experience in patent defense litigation, including defense against larger patent-holding entities. Mr. Fischer has years of litigation experience in oilfield and construction-related intellectual property matters, and also in the jewelry industry, including materials and process related patents.
Mr. Fischer has built and managed manufacturing facilities and served in capacities ranging from Project Manager to Vice-President of various companies. He regularly negotiates licenses for his clients as well as intellectual property co-development and procurement agreements.
The combination of his legal experience, business experience, and extensive design experience in mechanics, manufacturing, electronics, photoelectrics, and oil and gas exploration provides his clients with a unique level of participation in the fullest development of inventions.
Representative clients include Schlumberger, Ryan Corporation, Orenda, Conestoga Energy Partners, RTC, T&T Engineering Services, Inc., Inficomm, Inc., The Gearhart Companies, C&C Jewelry Mfg., HNJ, Inc., Prime Art and Jewel (PAJ), Pavestone, Antron Compact Electronics, Crow-Erickson, Inc., DLA, Inc., Collier Metal Specialties, Inc., Detex Corporation, Dobbs-Stanford Corporation, and RECS, Inc.
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, University of Southern California, 1979
- Juris Doctor, Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1996
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected in “Super Lawyer” list, Thomson Reuters, 2012 – 2021
- Selected in “Best Lawyers in Dallas” list, D Magazine, 2018 – 2020
- Selected in “Best Lawyers in America” list, Best Lawyers (Woodward/White Inc.), 2019 – 2022
- Selected in “Best Lawyers in Texas” list, The Wall Street Journal, June 2020
- Selected in “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property” list, Legal Leaders Magazine, 2014 and 2015
- Selected in “Top Attorneys in Texas” list, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2011 – 2019
- Selected in “Top Rated Lawyers in Texas” list, Texas Lawyer, 2015 – 2017
- Selected in “Top-Rated Lawyers in Intellectual Property Law” list, Fortune Magazine, 2014
- Selected in Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2017 – 2019
- Selected in Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, 1994 -1995
- Copyright Litigation
- Internet & Social Media
- Licensing & Technology Transfer
- Media & Entertainment
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prep & Prosecution
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trademark Litigation
- Trademark Preparation & Prosecution
- Interviewed by The Dallas Morning News, November 2003 and May 2002.
- Speaker for STLE CM2002 Conference, February 2002.
- Editor and publisher of Metalworking Fluid Magazine (metalworkingfluid.com).
- Interviewed by Good Morning America in September 1999.
- Interviewed and quoted in Business Week Magazine, April 2000, Wrap Sheet, University of Tennessee, May 2000, The Wall Street Journal, July 2000, and the Sydney Times, June 2000.
- Featured guest speaker at the FTC press conference announcing the prosecution of 100th Internet Fraud case, September 1999.
- CLE speaker for Dallas Chapter of FBA, October 2000. Speaker for Dallas Chapter of TSPE, February 2001.
- Registered U.S. Patent Attorney
- Attorney at Law, State Bar of Texas
- Attorney at Law, State Bar of Colorado
- Attorney at Law, District of Columbia
- Licensed Professional Engineer, Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The College of the State Bar of Texas