Thomas Gardner Savage is a commercial real estate lawyer with over thirty years’ experience. In the last five years he has closed deals having a cumulative value of over two and a half billion dollars. His practice has focused primarily on institutional grade properties and complex transactions with a particular emphasis in the multifamily space. He has represented institutional investors as well as sponsors and developers.
A large part of his practice has involved drafting and negotiating limited liability company agreements, limited partnership agreements and other organizational documents. He has worked on transactions involving agency loans as well as commercial bank, life-company and CMBS financing. Because many of his clients have been national in scope, he has worked on projects in most of the major metropolitan areas in the country, including, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.
Gardner began his career just before the S&L crisis in the early 1990’s. He cut his teeth representing commercial banks and other lenders working out distressed real estate loans, conducting foreclosures and selling REO. During this period he also represented clients who were acquiring large portfolios of performing and non-performing loans from the RTC and the FDIC.
Since the early 90’s, Gardner has advised lenders, developers and investors in connection with the acquisition, development, and financing of commercial real estate projects across the nation. In addition to drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements, loan documents and joint venture agreements, Gardner also has extensive experience drafting and negotiating easements, property management agreements, listing and brokerage agreements, development agreements, and retail and commercial leases. He has represented both landlords and tenants. He has also represented a national senior housing developer in connection with the acquisition, development, financing and management of CCRC properties.
Gardner learned early on that every deal needs a good quarterback and he particularly enjoys that role, effectively managing large and complex real estate transactions. For three decades, through attention to detail, sound legal advice, effective coordination and hard work, Gardner has helped his clients advance their most important transactions to closing.
When he is not closing deals, Gardner enjoys spending time with family, kayaking, fishing and swimming.
- Represented developer in connection with the acquisition of land for and development of a high rise apartment project in downtown Orlando including the negotiation of joint venture documents with senior equity and financing documents with construction lender.
- Worked on the acquisition and redevelopment of a government center in suburban Boston into a mix-use retail, office and multifamily project.
- Represented an institutional investor in connection with the acquisition of a multifamily portfolio in Los Angeles, including negotiation of joint venture documents.
- Represented a REIT in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of a multi-building office complex in Alexandria, Virginia.
- Represented the seller in connection with the disposition of industrial property in Pasadena, Texas.
- Represented the borrower in connection with a construction loan on a multi-family development project in Pompano Beach, Florida.
- Represented the buyer in connection with the acquisition and agency financing of a garden style apartment project in suburban Boston.
- Negotiated joint venture documents on behalf of an institutional equity provider with respect to the acquisition of a post-war era apartment building in mid-town Manhattan.
- Represented the seller in connection with the disposition of an apartment project in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Worked on the acquisition and redevelopment of a retail center in Reston, Virginia.
- Negotiated joint venture documents for the acquisition of apartment project in Grapevine, Texas.
- Dallas Bar Association
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, Southern Methodist University
- Former Chairman and Board Member, Advisory Board, The Cambridge School of Dallas
- Past President and Board Member, Real Estate Financial Executives Association of Dallas
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2000-2020
- Selected in “Best Lawyers in Dallas” list, D Magazine, 2020 – 2021
- Order of the Coif, 1987
- Beta Gamma Sigma, 1984
- Loan Negotiation & Documentation
- Loan Workouts
- Contract Drafting & Negotiation
- Entity Selection & Business Formation
- State Bar of Texas